A bowl of cereal only goes just so far in feeding a child’s brain and body for the day ahead. And, in fact, it doesn’t go very far at all! Protein is where it’s at for starting their day off right. I try to incorporate protein into every breakfast, ideally mixed with some veggies too. My daughter came up with this recipe (I’m so proud), which she makes on a Sunday and then freezes to eat during the week. They also make a nice lunch or dinner with a salad!
School Day Mini-Fritattas
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 slices of sandwich bread
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (or a blend of flavorful cheeses)
1/2 cup onion
1/2-1 cup fresh spinach
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the cups of a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
2. Saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil. When it just starts to become translucent, add the spinach. Stir it around so the onion isn’t sitting on the bottom of the skillet as the spinach wilts. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the milk, salt and pepper and thyme.
4. Tear the bread apart and line the muffin cups with it.
5. Add a layer of vegetables, then cheese, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
6. Bake approximately 15-20 minutes or until the center is set.