There’s a lot of buzz in the news lately about studies that show the benefits of a higher protein diet. Research has shown that protein helps improve focus and concentration, avoids periods of high energy followed by energy crashes and keeps hunger at bay longer. As someone who needs all of those things to be happening (and wants the same for my kids), I’m putting more focus on high protein breakfasts (and lunch and dinner). It’s working, for all of us. But when we’re in a rush in the morning, cereal is fast and making a high-protein breakfast can take some time. So when the folks from Johnsonville(R) sent me some coupons to try their Fully Cooked Original Recipe or Turkey Breakfast Sausage, I was glad to try them.
Sure enough, both kinds of sausage cooked up quickly and were delicious. My trick was to put them in a skillet first, to start heating up, while I got out the eggs to scramble and my spatula, plates, cups and silverware. In the time it took to do that, the sausage was ready. I took them out of the skillet (or scooted them to the side of the skillet) and cooked up scrambled eggs. In just a few minutes, breakfast was on!
Here are a couple of creative breakfast recipes from Johnsonville(R) using the fully cooked sausages. I had to go to a couple of different stores to find the breakfast sausage selections. Had I just used their Where to Buy link, I could have saved myself some driving.
Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage Burritos
Servings: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes
- 6 links Johnsonville Fully Cooked Original Recipe or Turkey Breakfast Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Mission Super Soft Burrito flour tortillas, warmed
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add sausage and green onion; cook for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, salt and pepper; pour into skillet.
- Cook until eggs are just set. Stir in beans.
- To assemble burritos, place one tortilla on a plate. Spoon half of the sausage mixture
down the center of the tortilla. Top with cheese and salsa. Fold in ends and roll up.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla.
Johnsonville® Microwave Sausage, Egg & Potato Scramble
Servings: 1 Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 links Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Original Recipe or Turkey Breakfast Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Coat a 12-ounce microwave-safe coffee cup with cooking spray. Add hash browns. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, sausage and cheese; pour over hash browns. Stir until blended.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Microwave 30 seconds longer or until eggs are set. Serve with salsa if desired.